Why expand into Asia ?
- In 2009, total car sales in China overtook those of the US
- According to Goldman-Sachs, China will overtake the US as world’s largest economy by 2027. This is not considering the possible revaluation of the currency (RMB) which, if it happens, will accelerate the process.
- Jim O’Neill, the author of this prediction, forecasts China growth in 2010 at 11.9%
- HSBC has decided to move its CEO from London to Hong Kong
- Asia has great diversity and vitality
- India and China have 100 million more middle class per year
Many western firms fail in Asia because conditions are different:
- The cultural barrier
- Guanxi which describes the basic dynamic in personalized networks of influence, is a central idea in Chinese society
- The need for local partners, time factor, rituals, trust and hierarchy
- Need to be persistent, patient, observe local customs
- Need to treat elder people with respect
- Never cause anyone to lose face, importance of rituals e.g. how to accept a business card
Why select Swiss Hotel Management Academy and the Baur Group as your partner for Asia ?
- We bridge the cultural barrier with our knowledge of over 115 years in Asia
- We have experts in education as part of our team and management
- We have the capability to assess and perform the right model for our partner
- We attract not only the upper class who will send their children abroad for education but also the middle class
- In Asia parents are reluctant to send their daughters abroad for further education. Bringing high level Swiss education to Asia is an added advantage
- We set up training courses for the hospitality industry with top local and overseas experts
- We are represented in the top markets of tourism with our own group companies in Sri Lanka/Maldives, Singapore and Thailand